This video was made in partnership with Bill Gates. To learn more about how we can help improve the lives and health of people around the world, visit https://gatesnotes.com
In the future, humans will likely die of a very different suite of causes than we do now, thanks to advances in healthcare, an aging population, and changes in the environment.
To learn more about this topic, start your googling with these keywords:
– Global Burden of Disease Study: A comprehensive look at morbidity and mortality that measures lost human potential due to ill health caused by disease.
– Aging-associated Diseases: Diseases that increase in frequency with senescence, including atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease, cancer, arthritis, cataracts, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and Alzheimer’s disease.
– Global Catastrophic Risk: A risk that could inflict serious damage to human well-being on a global scale.
– Doomsday Clock: A metaphor that represents how close humanity is to self-destruction.
– Antiretroviral Therapy: A combination of drugs that suppresses HIV replication in infected individuals.
– PrEP: Pre-exposure prophylactic medications that work to prevent at-risk individuals from contracting HIV.
If you like what we do, you can help us!:
– Become our patron: https://patreon.com/MinuteEarth
– Our merch: http://dftba.com/minuteearth
– Our book: https://minuteearth.com/books
– Share this video with your friends and family
– Leave us a comment (we read them!)
David Goldenberg | Script Writer, Narrator and Director
Sarah Berman | Illustration, Video Editing and Animation
Nathaniel Schroeder | Music
MinuteEarth is produced by Neptune Studios LLC
Lizah van der Aart • Sarah Berman • Cameron Duke
Arcadi Garcia i Rius • David Goldenberg • Melissa Hayes
Alex Reich • Henry Reich • Peter Reich
Ever Salazar • Leonardo Souza • Kate Yoshida
Youtube | https://youtube.com/MinuteEarth
TikTok | https://tiktok.com/@minuteearth
Twitter | https://twitter.com/MinuteEarth
Instagram | https://instagram.com/minute_earth
Facebook | https://facebook.com/Minuteearth
Website | https://minuteearth.com
Apple Podcasts| https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/minuteearth/id649211176
Ritchie, H., Spooner, F., and Roser, M. (2019). “Causes of Death.” Our World in Data. https://ourworldindata.org/causes-of-death
Mecklin, J. (2023). “A time of unprecedented danger: It is 90 seconds to midnight.” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. https://storage.pardot.com/878782/1674512728rAkm0Vt3/2023_doomsday_clock_statement.pdf
Fuller, R. et al. (2022). “Pollution and Health: A Progress Update.” The Lancet. 6:6 (535-537). https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(22)00090-0/fulltext
Atella V, Piano Mortari A, Kopinska J, Belotti F, Lapi F, Cricelli C, Fontana L. “Trends in age-related disease burden and healthcare utilization.” Aging Cell. 2019 Feb;18(1):e12861. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30488641/
Mathers CD, Loncar D. Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med. 2006 Nov;3(11):e442. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1664601/