This video was made in partnership with Gates Ventures.
Energy use can be confusing – I mean, how do you compare gasoline in your car to electricity piped to your house? That’s why we made these things spud-tacularly simple.
To learn more about this topic, start your googling with these keywords:
– Calorie: the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1°C (now usually defined as 4.1868 joules).
– Energy: power derived from the utilization of physical or chemical resources, especially to provide light and heat or to work machines.
– Joule: the SI unit of work or energy, equal to the work done by a force of one newton when its point of application moves one meter in the direction of action of the force, equivalent to one 3600th of a watt-hour.
– Watt: the SI unit of power, equivalent to one joule per second, corresponding to the power in an electric circuit in which the potential difference is one volt and the current one ampere.
– Watt-hour: a measure of electrical energy equivalent to a power consumption of one watt for one hour.
If you like what we do, you can help us!:
– Become our patron: https://patreon.com/MinuteEarth
– Share this video with your friends and family
– Leave us a comment (we read them!)
Cameron Duke | Script Writer, Narrator and Director
Lizah Van der Aart | Illustration, Video Editing and Animation
Nathaniel Schroeder | Music
MinuteEarth is produced by Neptune Studios LLC
Lizah van der Aart • Sarah Berman • Cameron Duke
Arcadi Garcia i Rius • David Goldenberg • Melissa Hayes
Alex Reich • Henry Reich • Peter Reich
Ever Salazar • Leonardo Souza • Kate Yoshida
Merch | http://dftba.com/minuteearth
MinuteEarth Explains Book | https://minuteearth.com/books
Youtube | https://youtube.com/MinuteEarth
TikTok | https://tiktok.com/@minuteearth
Twitter | https://twitter.com/MinuteEarth
Instagram | https://instagram.com/minute_earth
Facebook | https://facebook.com/Minuteearth
Website | https://minuteearth.com
Apple Podcasts| https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/minuteearth/id649211176
“All-Electric Vehicles” (2017) https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evtech.shtml
“Apple’s Electricity Use 2020.” Statista, https://www.statista.com/statistics/531938/electricity-consumed-by-apple-inc-globally
“Statistical Review of World Energy.” BP Global, 2021, https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/energy-economics/statistical-review-of-world-energy.html
“Cameco U101 – Fuel Manufacturing.” https://www.cameco.com/uranium_101/fuel-processing/fuel-manufacturing/
“FoodData Central.” Usda.gov, 2019, https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170026/nutrients
“This Is What It Costs to Light 7 of the Brightest Landmarks in the World for a Year.” Business Insider, https://www.businessinsider.com/the-cost-of-lighting-landmarks-around-the-world-2017-7
Ritchie, Hannah, et al. “Energy Production and Consumption.” Our World in Data, 2020, https://ourworldindata.org/energy-production-consumption
"The shipping industry looks for green fuels." Acs.org, 2022, https://cen.acs.org/environment/greenhouse-gases/shipping-industry-looks-green-fuels/100/i8