From NPR.
President Trump says he’s calling off a previously expected second wave of attacks against Venezuela, writing online this morning that the U.S. and Venezuela are working better together. Diplomats from both countries said from the country’s capital Friday they’re exploring the possibility of restoring diplomatic relations.
This comes after Venezuela began releasing some political prisoners — an act the government said was a show of good will.
President Trump also met with oil executives today at the White House. He says oil companies will go back into Venezuela and spend at least $100 billion to rebuild the country’s oil infrastructure. However, it’s not yet clear if the executives are willing to commit their companies’ money to investments in a country acutely unstable — economically and politically.
The meeting comes after the U.S. seized another tanker ship today — the third this week and the fifth over the last month. This ship was seized east of the Caribbean Sea. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said it was suspected of carrying sanctioned oil from Venezuela.
Read "Venezuela releases imprisoned opposition figures, which Trump says U.S. requested" at https://www.npr.org/2026/01/09/nx-s1-5672325/venezuela-releases-imprisoned-opposition-figures-trump-says-us-requested
——————————————————
Follow NPR elsewhere, too:
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/npr/
• TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@npr
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NPR


